BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 19, 2009

HIV/AIDS: What Do You Know?

Have you ever come across anyone with HIV? What about AIDS? Do you even know if you've come across with it? Could you tell your friend the difference between the two? I'm sure that you're wondering, "Why is he asking all of these questions?". One day, you'll learn understand why.

Two years ago, if you were to approach me and interrogate me with the same questions, I would not even know what to say. In my high school and in the community that I stayed in, no one knew much about the HIV and AIDS epidemic. In school, they taught us very little about it. The only educators that were allowed to instruct on this were the health teachers. To be frank, they didn't do a good job at it. The students in the class seemed bored with it, having the most blank expressions on their faces. No one in my community knew how you could get or how many cases were presented each year. I couldn't go home to my mom and ask because she knew very little.

Just like I did with every thing else that I wanted to know about, I researched it myself. I read all of the facts and even looked at pictures. But that was not enough for me. Soon I would come across various non-profit organizations that were trying their best to tackle this issue. It wasn't until I became a member of Da CRIBB when I became extremely serious about it. Being there, I got to meet a lot of brothers who were very accepting of each other. Everyone was different there and at first, being around a lot of gay people was something I couldn't deal with. Ultimately, I learned how to accept everyone for who they were and that everyone is different. Everyone of us in this world is special in our own right. We should embrace who we are and what we stand for in the most positive light.

One of the things that I stand for most is the HIV/AIDS. For the past two years, I have been heavily into the gay community of Atlanta. Being in the community doing volunteer and outreach work with Da CRIBB, I've come across an ample amount of people who are HIV positive. These people have changed my life in so many ways, I can't even describe. The little I knew about HIV became even bigger and now that I know much more about it, I want to let people out there know that this disease has NO FACE whatsoever. When I say it has no face, I mean this... you could walk up to the cleanest, sexiest, most attractive man on this Earth and think that nothing is wrong with him, but he could have it. Now, typically, any general person would look at a frail, skinny person and think that they could have it. In reality, he could be HIV negative. Keep in mind, this isn't just with HIV, this is with every STD in existence.

Here are some things that you should know:

  • 60 million people have been infected with HIV.
  • HIV is the human immunodeficiency virus. It is also the cause of AIDS.
  • Half of the newly infected today are under 25.
  • HIV is the leading cause of death among African-American between ages 25 to 44.
  • HIV shows no symptoms for many years, so those infected may not even know that they have it. This means one thing... GO GET TESTED! Especially if you LOVE YOURSELF!
  • HIV can have the most devestating effects on your body if you don't get treated.
  • HIV is spread through the following: blood, semen (including pre-come), and vaginal secretions. A woman can pass it through her baby during pregnancy or delivery, and also breast milk feeding. Overall, HIV is transmitted through unprotected sex (vaginal, anal, and oral). Also, it can be transmitted through injection drug use.
  • HIV cannot be spread through casual contact or shaking hands.
Signs of HIV/AIDS:
  • Many people who have HIV don't even know it because symptoms may not appear for an average of ten years.
  • Weight loss, flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, fatigue, persistent fevers, night sweats, headaches, mental disorders, or severe or recurrent vaginal yeast infections.
There is no cure for HIV. Medications are provided by physicians to slow down the progression of infections and delay the onset of AIDS symptoms. However, if treated early, it would make a tremendous difference. If you don't get treated, then there are consequences you could face. HIV can weaken the body's ability to fight off other diseases, making your immune system vulnerable to cancers and infections such as pneumonia. Pneumonia is one of the leading complications of HIV/AIDS.

The only way to know for sure whether you have HIV or another STD is to get tested. Many are nervous about getting tested, especially for the first time. Many worry about if it's affordable, when it's free at so many places in our community. Some don't worry about finding out the results. You might not know where to go or what to expect. But think about this:
  • Getting a test takes about the anxiety of not knowing.
  • If you leave HIV or other STD's untreated, it could cause serious health problems.
  • Getting a test doesn't take up much of your time.
  • There are a lot of places that provide 20 minute test results after you get a test done.
  • You could get a swab test, blood test, or urine test to get your results, which is all easy and painless.
  • If you have a partner, take them with you as well. It's best that both of you get it done so that there won't be any mishaps in your relationship, trust, or health.
Ways to prevent this risk of HIV and other STD transmission:
  • Choosing not to have sex, being abstinent.
  • Make a pact with your partner to be faithful and sticking to it.
  • Using condoms for vaginal and anal sex. Flavored condoms and dental dams are best for oral sex.
  • Get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B.
  • If you use drugs (which you shouldn't), DO NOT share needles.
  • GET TESTED!!! And once again, ask your partner to do the same.
PLEASE BE SAFE LOVE MUFFIN! I HOPE THIS INFORMATION WAS VALUABLE TO YOU! REMEMBER THAT HIV AND STDs HAVE NO FACE! SO BE CAREFUL AT ALL COST! LOVE YOURSELF! LOVE OTHERS! GET TESTED AND ENCOURAGE EVERY ONE ELSE TO DO SO! MUCH LOVE!

Sincerely,
De'Carlos Antoine
The SuperBITCH

0 comments: